I spoke to mom's hospice case manager yesterday. He had some concerns about mom's safety since she is by herself for most of the day. He asked about her moving in with us and I said we were still planning on it but having trouble finding a rental. She is having trouble keeping track of her meds and she has been in pain because of it. We also talked about the phone situation (it's been nearly 2 months).
Mom has to have a land line to let visitors in at the gate of her complex. The phone wasn't working; tried replacing batteries, replacing the phone, etc. I told her to call the phone company to check the line; she hadn't thought of that. Finally, the phone works now but she still can't get people through the gate like the delivery guy dropping of her medications the other day. I called her apartment office and was told everyone was at a conference and to call back tomorrow. So I told mom to trying pressing and holding the button to let the person in. That seems to have to worked but she was in tears over it yesterday because she has 'talked to everybody' and no one could help her.
It's that kind stuff that she needs more help with. She used to be so independent and resourceful, so it's hard on her to not be able to solve problems like she used to and rely so much on other people. It's hard for me seeing her go through it and not being close enough to help.
Anyway, after talking to mom's hospice manager, it is highly likely that she will move down here and go into care facility. I could work half days as discussed with my boss, but she needs nursing care more and more often. Her going to the ER frequently is proof of that.
So now the search is on for a nursing facility. I'd like to move her down here by Nov. 1 and I don't even want to think about packing up her stuff and moving it down here. She still has no savings even after we talked about her being more financially responsible. Again, her short term memory is shot and she writes checks without checking her balance. But it's always the banks fault when I talk to her about it. I had her talked into hiding her checkbook or giving it to Lucia once the beginning of the month's bills were paid and living off an allowance. That hasn't happened. If she moves into a nursing home, they'll take everything for the cost of her care, so there will be no more problems with money. Cold, but true.
The stress of looking for a rental home is gone, but now we are talking about buying a home. Another stress. It would be nice for the kids to have their own rooms and have a yard and a place where people can gather. But just searching and figuring out financing even with my dad's help... I am not looking forward to it.
And currently hubby is pissing my off and not helping with the stress levels at the moment. On the positive side, my Sentra might sell since he put an ad on Craig's list... it's just that he put the wrong year (again) to my car. We could really use the money from the sale.
No comments:
Post a Comment